We are able to screen children for dyslexia at Dobwalls. Please note this is not a formal diagnosis, but does give a reliable recognition of learning difference. Children are monitored throughout school and all teachers and teaching assistants have received Dyslexia Awareness training.
High quality teaching supports the inclusion of all children within lessons, including those children with dyslexia.
However, we know that some dyslexic children will require additional support and this will be planned according to individual needs. Do talk to class teachers, Mr Spencer or Mrs Pipe if you are concerned with dyslexia, especially if you are aware of family history of dyslexia tendencies.
We will normally screen children at the end of Year 2 or Year 3.
Dyslexia Friendly Teaching Strategies at Dobwalls:
- Clear success criteria and learning objective shared
- Visual timetables
- Access to learning support materials: high frequency word flashcards, word banks, 100 squares, number lines, multiplication grids, rulers, dictionaries, thesaurus
- Pictorial recording choices
- ICT access
- Use of spare tables to reposition children as necessary for a quieter zone
- Individual targets for writing – known as catch-me cards
- Green marking and pink marking
- Brain gym and memory activities
- Storyteller actions and learning approach to stories
- Pastel coloured backgrounds on whiteboards
- Coloured overlay access as necessary for reading
- Positive relationships
- Whole class rewards system
- Displays and layout of classroom supports learning
- Opportunities to repeat previous learning
- Supportive classroom culture
- Differentiated learning activities
Dyslexia Awareness Week 2022