The intent of our MFL curriculum is to develop an interest in and a thirst for learning other languages. We aim to introduce the learning of the French language and an understanding of its culture in enjoyable and stimulating ways. We aim to build the children’s interest and curiosity, enabling them to study the similarities and differences between cultures.
Our curriculum has been planned to progressively develop skills in French.
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding.
- Explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words.
- Engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help.
- Speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- Develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases; • present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences.
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- Appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language.
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary.
- Write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly.
- Describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing.
- Understand basic grammar appropriate to the language being studied, including (where relevant): feminine, masculine and neuter forms and the conjugation of high-frequency verbs; key features and patterns of the language; how to apply these, for instance, to build sentences; and how these differ from or are similar to English.
- Teaching is adapted to meet the needs of children with SEND - the use of visuals and scaffolding is very supportive.
French Long Term Overview
Statement of SEND intent - French
Our Knowledge Organisers
Year 3 Knowledge Organiser - French
Year 4 Knowledge Organiser - French
Year 5 Knowledge Organiser - French
Year 6 Knowledge Organiser - French
By the end of Key Stage Two, every pupil at Dobwalls Primary School has a balanced understanding of the spoken and written French language. We will have laid positive foundations for further foreign language teaching at Key Stage 3 as children move into their Secondary education.